We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for CENGN’s Finance Team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the candidate will serve as the point of contact and authority for their department ensuring optimal service to CENGN’s customer base, which includes CENGN members, enterprises and service providers that consume CENGN services as well as small and medium enterprises whose products and services CENGN helps to commercialize.
- Lead full accounts payable, accounts receivable, HST filing and cash processing cycle
- Lead the month-end closing procedures including bank reconciliations, government reporting, pre-paid expenses, accruals, amortization, allocations and deferred revenue
- Lead the preparation and processing of payroll
- Record and reconcile all credit card payments, and maintain CENGN merchant account including collection
- Be responsible for ensuring Government Grants are properly accounted including ensuring only eligible expenses are paid with Grant Funds
- Review of all expenses at month-end to ensure accuracy and completeness
- Act as Secretary for the Audit Committee Meetings
- Assist in the preparation of funding applications, budgets and forecasts
- Assist in the preparation for Audit Committee, Board Meetings, CRA tax forms
- Evaluate suppliers, analyzing proposals and supplier management
- Ensure compliance with various governing requirements related to procurement
- Actively engage vendors in product discussions and pricing negotiations
- Generate reports, analyze data, and build data sets based on business analytic indicators, such as KPIs
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN’s) Business Development team. Reporting to the VP, Business Development & Marketing, the candidate will serve as the interface managing the operating relationships between CENGN and its Hubs, RICs, SMEs, and OCE. The candidate will be ensuring optimal service to SMEs whose products and services CENGN helps to commercialize.
The role will necessitate a mix of strategies, account management, business development and a diverse network of industry contacts. The ideal candidate will also have a strong technology background, preferably having worked at a company focused on advanced networking.
- Continually engage SMEs, who are developing technologies relevant to CENGN members, to use CENGN’s commercialization services
- Foster a relationship with SMEs to demonstrate their product/solution on CENGN’s Cloud infrastructure
- Manage the commercialization program by identifying new commercialization projects involving members, partners, SMEs and students
- Participate in local and national events focused on building the CENGN brand, recruiting new members, partners, SME affiliates, and clients for CENGN services
- Evaluate both the business and technical aspects of the proposals and solutions
View full job description: Business Engineering Manager
The Chairperson has a strategic role to play in representing the vision and purpose of the organisation. The Chairperson is accountable to the Board and acts as a direct liaison between the Board and the management of the Company, through the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”). The Chairperson ensures that the management of the company functions properly, that there is full participation and quorum at meetings, that all relevant matters are discussed and that effective decisions are made and implemented.
- Hire and perform annual evaluations of CEO
- Provide independent advice and counsel to the CEO
- Keep generally abreast of the activities of the company and its management
- Together with the CEO, develop and set the agendas for meetings of the Board and AGM
- Act as a liaison between management and the Board
- Act as Chair at meetings of the Board and ensure proper governance, establishing committees where needed
- Ensure that Directors are properly informed, and that sufficient information is provided to enable the Directors to form appropriate judgments
- Ensure that decisions, actions and deliberations are adequately recorded in the minutes, and the implementation of decisions is clearly assigned and monitored
- Coach Directors ensuring there is a process to evaluate the effectiveness of the Board including on-boarding procedures for new Directors
- Keep apprised of meeting procedures, governance policies and by-laws of the Company
- Review governance performance and skills of Directors
- Plan for succession of the CEO role and key leadership team members
- Ensure that Directors are well-aligned around their roles and responsibilities, which requires a combination of ongoing Director education and development and regular performance assessment
- Develop on-boarding procedures for new Directors
- Ensure that a successor independent Director(s) is(are) found before their term(s) of office terminates
The CENGN Board of Directors is seeking an experienced and dynamic leader with strong credentials in the technology sector to assume the duties of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with a base in Ottawa.
Accountable for providing leadership and direction to a team of over 30 engineering, technical and other professional staff, the CEO is charged with developing an expanded mandate for CENGN, which will build on an already strong position within the ICT innovation ecosystem. Working collaboratively with the Board in setting strategic direction and in leading the CENGN team in day to day operating activities, he or she will demonstrate responsible and transparent decision-making which capitalizes on a considerable business acumen and a strong foundation of technical knowledge. As chief ambassador, the CEO actively engages and collaborates with external stakeholders to strengthen and promote CENGN’s brand within a highly dynamic and complex environment.
The newly appointed CEO will have to be exceptionally astute and adept at partnering with four primary constituencies:
- Government (Federal, Provincial and Municipal)
- Academia (including CANARIE and NREN members)
- Other complementary Canadian ICT initiatives (ENCQOR, BRIC, Wavefront, I3, AVIN…)
The ideal candidate shares our passion for re-establishing Canada’s leadership in the global telecommunications market. The CEO is an energetic, inspirational and collaborative leader with a strategic mindset and an unwavering commitment to enabling Next Generation Networking. The CEO will appreciate and effectively communicate the values of a centres of excellence, serve as a highly visible champion of CENGN’s values and culture, and operate a financially viable business. The CEO requires the ability to effectively deliver messages in a sophisticated, compelling and insightful manner and to have self-awareness with strong listening capabilities and the ability to build behind-the-scenes support for ideas.
A strong boardroom presence, along with the ability to represent CENGN both domestically and internationally in the most powerful manner, will be imperative.
View full job description: Chief Executive Officer
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN’s) Engineering team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering Operations, the Cloud Infrastructure Engineer will work with the intermediate and senior levels of technical engineers and leaders to plan, develop, and support the delivery and validation of CENGN’s virtualization environment, systems & networks. This environment will integrate various CENGN partner in-kind contributions into one cohesive system capable of accepting test and verification projects from CENGN’s membership. The candidate will support CENGN’s operations built around a modern automation framework and contribute to its continuous development. It is expected that a major part of the infrastructure built will be from direct contributions (h/w, s/w, services and engineering) from CENGN’s membership thus creating CENGN’s multi-vendor common test platform.
- Design, implement, and maintain server, storage, network, and security infrastructure
- Design, implement, and support system monitoring infrastructure
- Develop and implement internal systems, processes, and best practices to be used by other teams designed to increase productivity
- Create and implement automation for cloud platforms as well as monitoring and alerting purposes
- Verify and resolve configuration and other non-software related issues
- Supports the development of key components of CENGN’s automation framework
- Participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment, security, and high availability in the cloud
View full job description: Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN’s) Product Management team. Reporting to the VP of Program and Product Management, the candidate will be the external facing technical interface to the CENGN customer base, which includes CENGN Members, enterprises and service providers that consume CENGN services as well as Small Medium Enterprises whose products and services CENGN helps to commercialize. The Customer Solutions Engineer will be responsible for SME commercialization projects execution.
- Key interface between CENGN Engineering team and Business Development in order to formulate and provide technical support to the SME during commercialization projects
- Serve as resource to SMEs in the areas of Mobile Network, Network Transport, Network Application, IoT, Security, NFV, SDN, Data Centre/Cloud
- Define project scope based on SME’s application and system requirements
- Develop project technical solution and communicate with SMEs
- Support the Project Management team in the creation of documents clearly articulating project end to end solution architecture and requirements
- Technical guidance and direction to junior staff and students for developing their expertise
View full job description: Customer Solutions Engineer
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN’s) Program and Product Management Team. Reporting to the VP, Program and Product Management, the candidate will serve as the point of contact and authority for their department ensuring optimal service to CENGN’s customer base, which includes CENGN Members, enterprises and service providers that consume CENGN services as well as Small Medium Enterprises whose products and services CENGN helps to commercialize.
- Lead a small team to outline an Open Broadband Internet Architecture for both wired and wireless technologies
- Evaluate options for business and technical broadband solutions applicable for Rural and Northern Ontario
- Establish collaborative relationships at senior levels with relevant Ontario organizations engaged in similar endeavors
- Define end to end solutions for Rural and Northern community leveraging technologies from CENGN members and Canadian Small Medium Enterprises
- From the possible solutions defined, identify specific projects that can be proven in a testbed and/or in the field and conduct the project
View full job description: Rural & Northern Broadband Specialist
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual for the Centre of Excellence in Next Generation Networks (CENGN’s) Technology and Operations. Reporting to the Director of Engineering Operations, the candidate will be responsible for CENGN’s Key Performance Indicator (KPI) for training by developing Next Generation Networking courseware covering technologies such as Cloud and Software Defined Networking for the CENGN customer base, which includes CENGN Members, Partners, Small Medium Enterprises, and Academia.
- Develop a training program leveraging CENGN ’s ecosystem (Members, Partners, Academia) to support CENGN’s Key Performance Indicator (KPI)
- Leverage CENGN’s expertise in domains like Cloud solutions, SDN, NFV, Open Source and next generation technologies
- Liaise and develop relationships with industry specialists and subject-matter experts to maintain current and valuable course content
- Evaluate the options for training delivery to increase the outreach using diverse methods (ILT, e-Learning, meetups)
View full job description: Training Manager